Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Looking for Job in Taipei (NeiHu)

Okay, so here I am in Taipei (NeiHu to be exact) surrounded by technology companies and I am having a difficult time finding a job.  Some people I speak to find it strange that I should find it hard to find a job. However, if you look at it logically you can see why I am having a hard time. The reason is my basic (some may say poor) Chinese speaking and reading. Although just about 100% of the companies here do business in English speaking countries they still want a Chinese speaker for in-house. This is where my problem starts. I have great experience in international Asian sales. I understand the driving force of a South Korean company from that of  a Taiwanese company to purchase a product. I know how to build relationships, work with distributors, and in general find creative ways to work out any differnences.

 

So, now I am looking for a new job in the technology field. I have software and hardware experience, I have managed engineers and staff, I have worked on million dollar sales, not to mention my work on technical manuals, website building, artwork, and DM’s. Plus the fine art of working with Westerners with APAC partners. This I am good at.

 

I worked for an American company before and was paid as an expat. Now that I am looking for a job here I know that my pay will be as locals. I agree to this.  Now I just need to hit the pavement more and find an employeer that can see the benefits I bring.

 

Any suggestions or help you can provide would be welcomed.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an older post, so you may have already found what you wanted, but have you checked out http://www.104.com.tw? It's all in Chinese, but perhaps you can get a friend to help you. Your knowledge of English should be an asset, no matter where you go in Taiwan...

Michael A. Seday said...

I have checked out and posted on 1111, 104 and tealit. It is just difficult to land a job with a Taiwan company when your Chinese language skills are basic. My best best still is with a Western company that need help in Taiwan. Thanks for your writting and direction.