Friday, September 02, 2005

All Americans Have Guns

I was never one to jump on the anti-gun rally. As a matter of fact I used to shot guns. I enjoyed it. I think under supervision and control the sport was fun. But shooting and carring of a gun is no longer for sport. It is for pure harm and dominance.

 

I have been in Taiwan now for five (5) years. I moved here as an expat. Now I live here with my family running our school and working on other oppertunities.

 

During my time here I hear many different misconceptions about America. American take there showers in the morning.  Women are easy.  The USA likes to be in wars.  And the most common misconception is “everyone in America has a gun.” After listening to the news & living in Asia I understand why they believe everyone has guns. You see it in movies, you hear it in news stories and now you hear about guns and how people are shooting at the police in New Orleans.  The nation had a major disaster. You would think that people would bond together, but instead chaos seems to be winning. (funny that the local reporter from CNN just said the same thing I did about bonding together)

 

To be honest I myself I’m a bit afraid to come back.  I’ve started to believe “everyone in America has a gun.”   I know it is not true, but something needs to be done.  If a more devestating disaster occurred I am afraid to think what would really happen in America.  I’m not sure if the government has thought much about how to help internally. They seemed to be more worried about external issues (okay maybe I’m off the subject).

 

It is time to rethink our gun policy. There is enough violence without allowing Americans to choose gun violence.

No comments: