Monday, July 31, 2006

North Korea (DPRK) and America

I first traveled to South Korea (Seoul for the most part) in 2001. I traveled on business. I was then living in Taiwan managing an office. Maybe my homesickness lingered in my body, because I really looked forward to visiting South Korea. It was the weather, people and business I liked. Being from Ohio I enjoyed four distinct seasons and their changes. South Korea offered me a safe haven from the heat of Taiwan. It is not easy to make friends in South Korea, but the ones I did make are some of the best people I know. They have a strong working culture as well – a style of work I thrived on, yet knew how to sit and drink though work issues. South Korea in general was like a family I could embrace. Sadly, my expat job ended and I have not traveled to South Korea in two years. I miss everything I experienced – especially the friends I made.

Lately, there have been a few shows from CNN and BBC about North Korea. Although it is not the South and a much different cousin from its Southern family; I still became very interested to learn/hear more about North Korea. From the films it is hard to distinguish if life is cruel or just acceptable by those they filmed. Parts of what they show is sad, but mostly because of the comforts I am used to. So maybe I need to look at it from a different perspective. Just wish I could see more than what the propaganda team allows you to see.

Anyway, while watching the films I noticed a small indication of the young-peoples idea of America. Will give one example: We are told that electricity in the capital normally go out for an hour or two a night on a regular basis. One young-person says during the outing, ‘it’s the American fault.’ So I thought about how a power outage in Pyongyang was due to the USA. I can only assume it is from school teachings. I don’t believe the USA helped build the power plant or is holding back fuel. Plus it is my understanding that there are no American workers selecting which part of the city will receive electric power.

So I just read how the North Korean school system teaches (interprets) the ‘Diary of Anne Frank.” This gave me the answer I sought: read here.

Besides that I must say the BBC programs were just great. I never knew about the Mass Games before, but enjoyed the hard work and the beauty of them. Too bad the world does not see this spectacle - Although I have a feeling that North Koreans think the world is watching. I did find it rude that Kim Jong-Il did not attend the 2002 games, but the people accepted his absence too easily. Can't wait to see more. Film Info.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,

I notice you're into industrial music and in Taiwan. Have you been able to find any shows or bands over here? I'm in Taiwan now and can't find anything...

Thanks.

Michael A. Seday said...

I do like industrial music which has morphed over the years. So, I guess now my tastes have mergered over the years. Dig the EMB, Industrial, Techno and Noise that is being put out. Finding live shows and bands in Taiwan is not easy. Actually, I do not know of any here. Most of what I know about the industrial music scene in asia is coming out of Japan as you may already guessed. There are some local metal bands that may incorporate noise and industrial "sound," but nothing I have heard as truely industrial. If you know of something let me know. I do "play" music at Roxy99 and play industrial when I know I won't piss everyone off. I would go out on a limb and say I'm the only one in Taiwan playing EMB, Industrial and Noise on a constant basis. However, my audience is small to non-existant. So, go figure when there are not industrial bands in Tawian. Punk, Rock and Metal on the other hand can be found around in bands in Taiwan. -- I'm always interested in anything you may have to share.....