Friday, February 16, 2007

Mizuno Nike New Balance and Triathlon


Just purchased a pair of Mizuno Wave Aero 5 shoes for training. In Taipei they are going for half the price you can buy them in Japan. So, I got them at under US$50. I was a bit surprised. When I went to the store I was going to buy a pair of Ascis Gel-Kayano 13, but they wanted more money then I had to spend. However, you can get a much better price on them here in Taipei than in the USA (US$100 to 115 price range). Funny thing is I originally went to get shoes at New Balance. My whole purpose of going shopping was to buy New Balance shoes (1061, 901 or 1222). I researched New Balance on the web for a a bit to pick the shoes I wanted to try. I get to the store and they only had wide shoes. I went to a New Balance store that has 100's of shoes showing and they only had the 901's in a size that would fit (9 1/2 2E or maybe narrower). And they wanted more for the 901's then they were worth (even with discount). Sadly, I left the New Balance store. That is when my Ascis and Mizuno search started.

I liked my last pair of Mizuno Wave shoes and felt I should look at them again. Plus Mizuno here normally has very good pricing as I mentioned.

At Christmas I got a pair of Nike Zoom Katana Cage II. I like these shoes. I was not a Nike running shoe fan before, but these are nice racing shoes for me. I will mostly use these Nike's a week before a race and race day. I expect I will have these for two years and hit at least a half or full marathon with them this year.

My running has been going well. I get out every other day and run more time then actual distance. I typically make a 40 to 60 minute run depending on my speed and feeling for that day (long run would be 90 minutes 2 times a month). My races have been no more than 10K. I figured I should be running longer than a year before attempting a half or full marathon. Started running again in July 2006.

Now I have a bug to complete a triathlon. I always wanted to do one, even when I was in high school and in better shape. But I just never stepped up to the plate. I am thinking this year or early next year I will try a triathlon. I will be fine on the biking and running, but I must admit I am a bit scared of the swimming. I have only swam once when I was a kid a long distance (Tommy Olberding, do you remember swimming across the river in Wisconsin?). Luckily, my wife and a co-worker have some swimming experience, so I can get some tips and help. All I need to do is 1.5K in less than 50 minutes. I know to complete this event I would need a good 4 months in the pool so that I can build up my swimming. If I can make the swimming portion I can push my way through the biking (40K) and running (10K).

So, now I need to think about marathon and triathlon. Do both or just one? It would be the first for me either way? Maybe do both in the next year and a half?

2 comments:

Banzai! said...

just do it!
=P

fuerza man!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing…I could have used New Balance 750 series running shoes while training for the marathon.