Thursday, March 22, 2007

Playing Dodge'm While Running in Taipei

How I See Running in Taipei:

  1. Running alone seems safer. Unless you are a early riser and like to run when the sun rises at 4:30 or 5:00am. The roads are pretty free at those hours. I run at night after work, there is no room for a group of people to run.
  2. Run with traffic. I've been taught and read to run against traffic. That does not always work here. Running with traffic can be a bit scary, because you don't know what the traffic is doing behind you. Plus, in Taipei there are countless scooter riders trying to position themselves for just the right maneuver. Taxi's and other cars are always trying to bet you to the intersection so they can turn before you run into them. In this case you also have to worry about buses. Buses will push against any grain to reach a bus stop. If you run against traffic the bus drivers seem to watch out for you.
  3. Run against traffic. I like this method the best, but it has its downfalls as well. Expect your elbow to be hit by car and scooter mirrors. It will happen, even if you do your best to get out of the way. One huge thing to remember: watch to your left at all times. The drivers will very rarely look in your direction when pulling out and will pull out first before seeing if it is actually safe to pull out. So, expect a vehicle of some sort traveling 20-30kph coming from a sidewalk, small road or large intersection. By the way turning right on red is illegal, but only when police are around - so always keep those eyes open.
  4. Crosswalks. They call crosswalks zebra strips here, but don't kid yourself that it is a safe area. The government has been advertising to let people pass first, but let's not kid ourselves. Vehicles will push you out of the way if they have to. It has been my experience: You are more likely to be hit while on the zebra stripe (crosswalk) then if you are in the middle of the road somewhere (anywhere).
  5. Parks. The parks are okay here, but they are all hard paved. I miss the gravel and soft running/biking routes commonly found in other cities. I've yet to find a good running path.
  6. Mountain. My favorite run is running up the mountain. The view and environment is great and there are less cars. You can easily run an hour or more and just keep heading up hill. The downhill is what kills ya. It can be fast and pounding on you. If you have been only running on the flats the hills/mountains will kill you. Take it easy at first. If you run it regularly you can see improvement in your distance and time month after month. Now there are many hiking paths in the mountain, but not really meant for running.
  7. Sidewalks. Stay off the sidewalks unless you really are a thrill seeker. You will get hurt if you attempt to run on the sidewalks. First off scooters park on the sidewalk. So, the sidewalk is like a road for scooters and they rule the sidewalk. The sidewalks here have dips and drops (sometimes a foot or more) and if you are not watching closely you will take a tumble. The sidewalks have horrible potholes and if you run at night you will not see them in the poorly lit sidewalks. Expect a sprained ankle, expect an over extended exhaust pipe to rip open your shin, expect a women to poke you in the head with their umbrella (even when there is no rain or sunshine and the moon is out - go figure), don't expect people to move for you even if you call out. Run on the road and you will be 100% safer.
  8. Don't take up room. Don't try and make room for yourself by running an extra foot away from the side of the road. You would think by trying to make a buffer it would help. It will not. It will only make things worse. Drivers will try to push you back and scooter drivers will only see a possible opportunity to pass you on both sides.
  9. Bridges. I enjoy running on the newly lit bridges that surround the city. They all have a good pedestrian area and some even have soft padding. The wind, rush of the cars and a city skyline help push the pace.
  10. Run outside Taipei. If you can take your scooter or public transportation outside the city and run. There are many beautiful and great parks outside Taipei. Go run by the ocean. I don't get the chance to do this often, but some of my best runs were in cities down south when I was traveling.
I was an active little fellow before I moved to Taiwan. However, during my first 4 years here I was pretty busy with my job. I let the city life consume me. I walked a lot, but that was about it. A year and a half ago during my physical the doctor said I was obese. I was stunned not by the word, but that I have let myself get out of control. But even then it took another six months for the realization to actually sink in. I knew what had to be done. Heck, I started dieting when I was in the 3rd grade to make wrestling weight (year round) and I ran cross country for 4 years in high school. When I graduated high school I was weighing in at 126lbs. Suddenly it seems I was encroaching 170lbs (at 5'10" a BMI of 24-25). Time for action.

Pat Richie, Walsh Jesuit Cross Country Coach, had a party of some sort. I received the invitation late (being my mail is forwarded to Taipei), but it put in my mind the dedication and work ethic I need to now bring back in to my life. And now with a yellow parched invitation letter in my hand I decide running is what I will do to lose my weight. (By the way 20+years late, Coach Richie - Thanks).

I go out and get shorts, running shirt and shoes (Mizuno's). I start my running regiment by following a "Couch to 5K" program I found. It was just what I needed to get started. I followed it to the letter (used time not distance). Today... 8 months have passed and I run every other day. I run in the rain, cold and hot humid Taiwan heat. Plus thanks to the Chinese Taipei Road Running Association (CTRRA) for a decent website to keep me posted on running events. These events are what keep me pushing and striving for, well, a free t-shirt.

Running in Taipei, Taiwan is not easy feat. I applaud everyone here that can keep their spirits up while running in this busy city. I live just north of the city in area called NeiHu and luckily enough my back yard is a mountain. But even so the city is here.

Be careful if you run in Taipei, but don't let the traffic stop you. See you all at the races.
Check out Taipei Marathon.net for some pictures and videos, it is in Chinese, but scroll down or click around.

No comments: