Friday, May 13, 2005

Hilary Hahn Violin Recital with Natalie Zhu Taipei, Taiwan Show Review

A friend of a friend invited my wife and I to attend the Hilary Hahn concert at the National Concert Hall located at CKS Memorial Hall. Do to me being busy and not having a schedule of events my wife and I had no idea who we were going to see. Surprises are the best. Needless to say The Cure, Tom Waits, Ani DiFranco nor a reunion of Depeche Mode was not on the bill.

We arrived just within two minutes of the attendants locking the doors (fire hazard?) to the theater. So at this point I still have no idea who we are going to see. However, a piano was in the middle of the stage and I knew it was a violin concert, so I still had no idea who was playing. Two women walk out one westerner and one Chinese. Still no idea. Westerner has the violin and the Chinese lady sits at the piano.

Now my little review will be of two unknowns artists. The violinist had little or no passion to her playing. She was a child prodigy or a person used to playing with an orchestra. She seemed to be playing her part and not playing the music. She had no highs or low points to her songs. It was like listening to a dull movie soundtrack without the movie. As I looked around 4 people are snoozing (and we paid NT$1,000 for this?). This is not a good sign. However, the pianist kept me focused. She was good. Seemed she was playing with heart, but the songs fin the first act were not giving her justice.

Intermission about time.. . . . oh boy another hour of this. I wish I came to see the pianist show at least I know there would be a solo. So, off to see why so many people are here and to see just who we are listening to. As it turns out we are here to see Hilary Hahn and Natalie Zhu. This does not help me, but Hilary is selling lots of merchandise, I wanted a Deutsche Grammophon T-shirt or cool shirt with Hilary on it. Her poster was pretty cool. She has this dark gothic look about her. She may be a vampire. Great photos. Wish she had a shirt. Anyway, I still have no idea who either person is. I guess Im a bit of a bone head on my classical music.

Second half of the show. I sit down fidgeting and playing with my wifes hand. When suddenly out of nowhere Natalie just busts out a song that has passion and she is just jammin. Hilary comes in and pushes it a bit much, but her style has changed a bit. This is sounding good. There is movement, there is feeling, the music can make you think of different events in your life. Two great songs. Loved it. Then back to boring no river taking me anywhere music. Hilary has the stage, but just did not seem to have here heart into it. She at times looked even bored when she did not have a part to play and Natalie was strutting her stuff.

They did two encores. And both were played with very well. After the show she did a signing and Hilary does have fans. A good 150200 were lined up. Glad to see the enthusiasm of her fans. However I think the night went to Natalie Zhu.

Hilary Hahn & Natalie Zhu websites. Plus Hilary's photographer Kasskara (could not find the site, but just fantastic artist shots or fotos as some may say. Could not find it in Dutch sites either).

No comments: