Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Teaching and ATS Feelings

In some way I am a bit embarrassed to say that I am teaching English in Taipei. I was accomplished in doing business in Asia, but for some strange reason finding a new job here has proved difficult. I am talking to U.S. headhunters and checking CareerBuilder.com and Monster regularly.  Nonetheless, teaching has proven eventful. I teach adult conversation and grammar. I have learned much from my students. I work for a Japanese school chain called GEOS Language Academy. They have offices throughout the world. Pay is not bad if you have a full schedule.  However, I am not used to this life style. I am used to working hard for a company goal. I am used to solving problems and issues to a tight schedule. I like seeing a product I assisted with in the market. I like my mind and body to be active in all aspects of my job. An argument could be made that in teaching I am fulfilling some of these points. In some way 'yes,' but it has just left me a bit empty. It is definitely time to hit the pavement hard again to find a good company job for myself. 

My last job was at ATS in NeiHu (Taipei, Taiwan). I enjoyed the job, but the company did not have money. I did everything possible for them and still to this day I have not been paid. I had 3 months payment (and I accepted a discounted salary payment) coming since June. So for 5+ months I basically had no income. The CEO of ATS tells me the money will be coming every week. Today I heard the same answer again. I just hope it comes soon. My family can not afford to burn money with nothing coming in. My job with ATS has put me in the worst financial shape I have ever been in. The sad thing is I turned down two (possibly 3) job offers while I was working there. ---- ICK ----

No comments: