Thursday, April 20, 2006

FLAC, OGG, MP3vbr

I have tested and listened to the same song recorded in the three flavors: FLAC, OGG, and MP3vbr.

I will attest that FLAC is the best. There is no doubt about it. It is very clean and the level of sound is the best. I listened to a live recording from the Trashcan Sinatras recorded in 2005.

I think the MP3vbr was next best and OGG in last place, but just about the same as MP3vbr.

~ Used WinAmp to listen.
~ I used Logitech USB 250 headphones
All were at 44KHZ
FLAC: 800 KPBS average file size: 29,068KB
MP3vbr:160 KPBS average file size: 5,951KB
OGG: 122 KPBS average file size: 4,101KB

So the FLAC is just short of 5x larger than the MP3vbr file. It is crazy big, but final outcome is fantastic. Not sure FLAC is worth it unless it is a CD that just is not outputting well using MP3vbr. Maybe something with a lot of highs and lows and the encoder is just going nuts from the VBR. But if the sound is constant the MP3vbr seems to be the ticket. Now OGG at a higher KPBS average would create a little larger file, and may out perform the MP3vbr.

What I should do is play the same files on my home Onkyo stereo and see the difference. I am betting the FLAC will really stand out over the other formats in that setting.

Well there you go.

No comments: