Thursday, April 20, 2006

WinAmp 5.2 vs. MusicMatch 10 vs. Media Monkey 2.5x vs. WMP9

You can read all kinds of stuff on the web about which music player to use on your PC. I have read them and should consolidate the findings, but heck instead I will rant on my view instead. I also like to collect music and have many CDs, Albums, 7" and tapes (actually way to many). So my purpose for a MP3 player is to organize and tag music as well as play. I do not use any portable player so I don't pay attention to the download music to players section.

First off: Very strange that one player can not handle what most people would like to do with music. However, I understand each user is unique and each wants something particular. Plus each company is after making money and have their own agenda (which equal what they want to spend time updating).

Windows Media Player 9: (don't care which version) just plain out horrible. I have yet actually figured out an easy way to operate it. It is fancy, but troublesome. I use it for viewing video only (when it can find the right codec to play). It just tries to hard to think for you.

MusicMatch 10: Been using this program for years (since ver. 2) and I like the program. I believe it does everything a person needs. I like the tagging features and the ripping fetures. It is easy to view needed info. I will continue to use MusicMatch10 for ripping CDs. However, it has become stagnent in just about every other function and feature. This is why I started looking around for other alternatives. This is when I first turned to WinAmp and Music Monkey. I did look at OGG and FLAC but felt it did not fill my need. Still think MP3vbr is the best best for me (read my posting on this). I have written to MusicMatch 3 times requesting when a new update would be released, but still no word.

WinAmp 5.2: At first this program is overwhelming after using MusicMatch. It has so many features and functions that you can get lost quickly. I read the online quick guide twice to get a good understanding of its operating ideas. Played with it for 10 minutes and I was off and running. I enjoy this program. It handles all the missing components MuiscMatch is lacking. Plus you can download all kinds of add-ons. Playing with the add-ons is a whole 'nother topic to talk about. Now this program is just great for playing back music.

Media Monkey 2.5.2xx: Well I went to Media Monkey because I was looking for a better way to organize my music. Media Monkey combined MusicMatch tagging was the right combination for me. I like the file folder and options they give you in the file area. It makes finding bad MusicMatch tags easy. Plus I found it lets me clean up items that seemed not to be tagged or tagged incorrectly.

So for me I know use 3 programs to accomplish tagging and listening to MP3 or other files on my PC.
1) MusicMatch for ripping, file naming and initial tagging
2) WinAmp for listening to music (I just need a second sound card now and I can DJ)
3) Media Monkey for cleaning and fixing tags

No comments: