Thursday, May 03, 2007

Taiwan Can Be Ugly - but read on


A few times in my life I actually mentioned that Taiwan hits you hard when you look at it. When I take a taxi ride from the airport to Taipei, I would think, "oh, this place is so ugly looking, why don't people fix it up." I always watched who I would say this too. But when saying it I was sure to clean up my language (so, not to offend). But, the place grows on you, and, after a week you forget about the ugliness. Finally, today I read that I'm not alone.

This is a great article from Taiwan Review called "Formosa Sometimes" by William Meldrum. Take a read and you will see that architects to professors see the same Taiwan I do.

Will it change? Probably not. Old ways die hard here. Just open your eyes to discovery. Behind every beaten door is a palace called "home."

No comments: