Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Finishing Time 2007 Carrefour 10K

I just saw the results of the 2007 Carrefour Taipei International Expressway Marathon. It took place on the National Expressway No. 1 (Wuku-Hsichih elevated Section). CTRRA website English/Chinese [times listed on Chinese part of site only]

They had three races: Marathon, Half-Marathon and a 10K. I am in no way ready for a Marathon and will worry about a Half-Marathon in September when I run around Green Island.

I will say that this run really pushed me mentally during the race and after. My main strategy was to push the first 1 1/2k and by 2K find a comfortable pace, push at final 2K. I figured this strategy would help me hit a 45 minute target.

I will say by 5K I was starting to think, "what the heck I'm doing out here. This race is killing me." It was not the distance or the time. It was a mental shock to me to run on a 4 lane highway with no cars, no scenery and with large side barriers blocking your view. The highway twists and turns a bit with rolling hills, but you could not really see what was ahead. It was very much like running scared in a dream - running in a desolate area with no end in site.

This mental shock in running this race stayed with me for two weeks. Every time I would head out to run I wanted to head right back home. Needless to say, I'm now past that and looking ahead to a 9K in May .

So, how did I do? I missed my 45 minute mark, but did okay. I finished in 46:59. I was 185th out of 2,170 runners. I was number 28th in my age/gender group (40-44 male) out of 214 people. My pace was a bit faster then a 9K I did three month earlier.

I did meet a nice fellow Trevor King after the race. Must congratulate him on a fine 45:05 run.

Back to Dodgem in Taipei.