Friday, April 15, 2005

The Da Vinci Code - why the hype?

I had read Dan Brown’s Angels & Demons. I enjoyed the book. I found it suspenseful and very imaginative. It even got me off my duff to research a few items. He has that good “24: Hours” (yes the TV show) way of telling a story; mixed with the Michael Crichton story telling. Mr. Brown stumbled on a very good story with Angles & Demons.

I must admit I was not drawn to The Da Vinci Code due to being involved in the Wheel of Time series. But I put down the Robert Jordan series to read The Da Vinci Code just one week ago. Friends, parents and many internet sites praise the book. Now it was time to see what all the buzz is about.

Buzz was quickly sent to a fizzle as I turned page after page. It was Angels & Demons rehashed in a different location. It was not the page turner I expected. The story should have been half as long and many of the “let me give you a teaching lesson” should have been left out. I must admit I may be in the minority, but much of the “teaching” I was taught in my Catholic high school. However, I still think the book tries to teach too much while trying to concoct a love story in a day. Plus having the main character around was good, because he always seemed to know all the answers (no need to ask for outside help).

For a quick read the book is okay. However, remember the book is fiction and not based fully on fact. By using real events and real organizations the fiction part can easily be forgotten since it is so intertwined with non-fiction.

So now I hear a movie will be made. Maybe they should call it “National Treasure II” or even better yet “The True Monty Python and the Holy Grail.” The only good thing that could come of the movie is the beauty of locations (if it is not shot in a studio).

No comments: