Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Steroids discussion with your Children

I just read the following statement: “Talking about supplements and steroids needs to start in the third grade,” Dr. Eric Small (chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics' committee on sports medicine) said. “If you wait till ninth grade, it’s too late.”

I will admit I must be living in a different world. I have been in Taipei for 4 years and maybe out of step of what is happening in the world of the USA youth. I consider myself in step to the social issues that surround us, probably like many of you. But maybe we don’t understand everything that is happening. Let alone know how to talk to a 3rd grader about steroid use.

Just fascinating that 5% of high school girls and 7% of middle-school girls have used steroids. I find it fascinating, because if you asked me where to get steroids I would have no clue. And I find it strange that the girls normally get it from family and friends (plus internet and gym). What family and friend would give drugs to middle-school or high school kids? Maybe it is not the girls or boys that need to learn about steroids, but the adults supplying it to them.

Just horrible the things parents need to worry about today. What happened to worrying about a broken window or falling off the jungle gym?

No comments: