Friday, April 22, 2005

Taipei Restaurants - the don't go back - Update

More info can be found at: http://www.sinklub.com/seday/taipei_restaurants.htm


Cafe: (lobby, 2 SongShou Rd (02)2720-1234 -Hyatt Hotel) It is what is what it is. It is a western and Asian buffet that is here to please everyone. They also have a'la carte dinning. Chefs cook in front of you and will prepare a dish for you. Nice looking, but I never eat enough to justify the price and I always feel like I'm being rushed. not a relaxing place. It is big and roomy. Eat there when Hyatt is paying the bill (get it included in your room). If you are on your own to eat somewhere, please venture outside - and don't go to Burger King.

Crystal Spoon Thai Theme Restaurant (Taipei 101, 4th floor) If you are here on business you may visit this place and say, "wow this was great, I did not know I like Thai food." Well, you have been duped by the modern and boutique design. To be honest I have been there three times and have yet to have an average Thai tasting Thai dinner. Trust me hit the streets and find another Thai restaurant, unless you just have to have the ambiance of eating in a mall.

Dan Ryan's Chicago Grill: (8 DunHua N. Rd (02)2778-8800) "The restaurant all the westerners go to," say the taxi drivers. Well, the name itself gives Americans comfort (there is one in HK as well). I may be harsh in listing Dan Ryan's in the "don't go back category. But it really is nothing special, except maybe their wings. I have always had slow service, 2 out of 5 times the wrong plate was brought to the table. The drinks were slow to come. Not looking for excuses, but I know the rebuttle: "we are so busy.' Okay so hire two or three more people. It is normally crowded and for some it is a comfort you don't always get in Taipei especially if you don't know the city.

Mister Donut: (136, ShiDong Road, ShiLin District) First of all Mister Donut is not a restaurant. And second of all a 3 hour wait for anything at Mister Donut's is idiotic. I hear 100 stores may be opened across Taiwan in the next three years. Wait until there is no line and get your cup-o-joe and donut. A wait longer than 10 minutes makes this a place not to go back. (by the way a little fact: owned by President-Chain Corp. which operate just about every 7-11 and Starbucks).

Mos Burger (everywhere): People really want to eat at a place called Mos Burger? It is a McDonald's Japanese/Chinese style. I was taken to one in Japan while running late to a meeting. It was interesting but still wonder why was my burger dipped in to some slimy sauce? It is a burger and fry place. Do you really need to try this place? For one year I lived 10 seconds from one and never once ordered a meal. Guess the Mos is not in my blood.

My Other Place (No.303, FuXing N. Rd, (02)2718-7826) Never liked this place much. I think there are too many other places to go that are better. I have never been satisfied with a meal either. I like My Place which is its sister restaurant, but the English Pub feel is not here. If you are here on business and staying at the Sherwood Hotel it is a one minute walk. Go here and then spend some time at O'Ginny's.

Shannon, The: (6, TunHua N. Rd (02)2772-0948) I am going out on a limb here. Naming an Irish restaurant as one I would not revisit. They have changed their tune here since I first visited them. They now have bands that play Irish music. It may be that I happened to visit them the first week they opened and never gave them a second chance. I thought we may have Dublin Jack or Delany's here (Hong Kong) in Taipei and it was far from it. It seems to be a bit clichéd. The food was not good at the time and we had to move tables three times to find a spot that the AC was not blowing directly on us. They have been around a few years now (opened in 2002) so it can't be that bad (but they've done nothing to draw me back).

Woodstone (Bistro98 building, 8F (02)6638-5899) I had high expectations for this restaurant. Not sure what to say except -skip it-. Nothing stands out except the entrance which is nice looking. The food was below par, but if you want a pizza and you can't stomach another Domino's or Pizza Hut - hit the Woodstone.

No comments: