Monday, November 21, 2005

Copy Controlled Depeche Mode

Just days ago I wrote about the record labels losing me. And the trouble just continues. Sunday I stopped in the new FNAC in Taimu., Taiwan. I went in to buy an XBox game and three CDs. I chose my XBox game and then went to find my CDs. However, the three CDs had this logo on its plastic wrapper. Copy Controlled – you’ve got to be kidding. Needless to say the 3 CDs went back into its bin along with the XBox game. The record labels blew the whole sale for me. I'm one of those customers that want to take everything with me or not get anything. Just hate to pay full price for an XBox game as it is, but with that being the only item on my list now -- I put it back.

Record shopping has become annoying. It is not even fun anymore. It is better to just go on AllMusic to browse and learn about artists. Amazon used to be okay, but they don't show Copy Controlled CD's so you could get 'hood-winked' buying from them.

The record labels at least put a sticker on the CD to show it is Copy Controlled. To me the sticker is a kiss of death. It is nothing like the Parental Control sticker which makes you want to buy the CD. The Copy Controlled sticker just acts as a hot potato you want out of your hands. Martin Gore, Depeche Mode and others leave your label and let your fans buy your music again.

No comments: