Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Why Settle In Taiwan?

Someone out there just sent me this question after reading my blog. Why did I choose Taiwan to settle?  Honestly, this is a good question. Many people ask me that here. Well, let me see if I can walk you though it simply. (1) I had a job with Accelent (now a BSquare company) and they wanted to open an APAC office. I had traveled to Asia a few times with my CEO and enjoyed business there. (2) Two years into my time in Taiwan I meet my now wife, Esther. (3) Eventually, Accelent closed. I could have come home, but we had our 1st child, Jasper, coming and Esther was finishing her Master’s Degree. (4) We decided two things: Jasper should stay in Taiwan to learn Chinese/Taiwanese. This could take 8-10 years. Second, Esther wanted to follow a dream of hers. This dream has become a reality in Curious Monkey. It is an English school for 3-12 year olds.

 

So this is how I cam to settle in Taiwan. Esther and I plan on being back in the States in the next 8-10 years, but no exact plan as of now.

 

The sad part is my Chinese listening and speaking are horrendous. Chinese is not mandatory in Taipei, but it does help for a better experience.

No comments: