Thursday, November 17, 2005

Jim Thomas - Negotiate to Win: 21 Rules for Successful Negotiating

I just read a Newsweek article about Jim Thomas’ new book called: Negotiate to Win: The 21 Rules for Successful Negotiating.  In the article and book it addresses how poorly Westerners are at negotiating.  I believe his statements are true.  This is one area I admit I could use help in. About a year and a half ago I asked a few Chairmen and CEO’s if they knew of a book that talks more about negotiating. All of them said “no.” Before I asked the question I was already looking for some knowledge on the subject. I found some, but nothing worth talking about. I was hoping that they may have found something I missed.

 

Now I will need to buy Jim Thomas’ new book. From his interview he hits the nail on the head. I live in Taipei and have been doing business here and APAC region for 5 years. Asian cultures like to bargain, but negotiating really hit home when I worked for an Egyptian boss. My world and understanding of negotiations was turned upside down. The guy never stopped. Everything was a negotiation even when you thought negotiating on a subject or price was complete.  As Thomas says, ”[We’ve] been taught that negotiating is déclassé.”  I look forward to reading this book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael:

Thanks for your kind words about my book. Americans' lack of effective bargaining skills has been a huge hindrance to our success internationally -- in both the economic and diplomatic arenas -- and our shortcomings do us more damage every day. If Negotiate to Win can help alleviate the problem in even a small way, I'll be honored and delighted.

Jim Thomas