Thursday, November 10, 2005

Why I Don't By CDs Anymore - Record Shopping

The record companies have really blown it. I was an avid collector of Albums and CDs. I have some 6,000+ original albums. However in the past 2 years my buying days have dwindled to a few CDs a year and most from obscure artists on small labels. The large labels with their bitch’n’moan’ about piracy is the main reason. The protections they are putting on CDs to limit coping, using different sound formats and anything else about “protecting their” material is just plum nuts. It has really turned me off to wanting to purchase new CDs. Now I would rather just copy them, since the labels seem to be pushing me that way.  If I buy a CD there is no guarantee the CD will even play in my unit (nice going with that copy protection).  So why buy a new CD?  You would think that would have turned me to start downloading, but it has not. Downloading takes up too much time and I don’t have the time like kids & teens do.  I actually have to work and take care of the house. So I listen to my pre-bought music, free internet radio and borrowed music from friends.  The large record labels have saved me money and alienated me all at the same time. I just need to start discovering all these local artists and small labels again. Problem is I’m not getting younger and living in Taiwan does limit my access a bit.  (PS: I do miss record shopping)

No comments: